Sunday, February 15, 2009

The New Cool


Last night I was reading some blogs on globalgrind.com and a came across a post written by Kevin Liles. If you don't know who Kevin Liles is he's the Executive Vice President of Warner Music Group which is only the largest independent music content company in world. Not only Kevin Liles legendary in the music industry, I mess wit him because he started off as intern at Def Jam Records, and grinded his way to the top. And when I read his entry, I was instantly inspired, and I wanted my people to read it.


Hey, I wanted you guys to read where my head is for 2009. You can check out the full article in the “Executive Decision” column of XXL’s March 2009 issue.

It wouldn’t be me if I didn’t remind each of you that there are 3 kinds of people: people who Make It Happen, people who Watch it Happen and people that Things Happen to. What kind of person are you?

It’s 2009, and, as they say, out with the old and in with new. What old are you getting rid of, and what new are you taking with you? Your past has passed. You lived it, and I hope you learned from it. 365 days of countless new experiences, new conversations, new revelations and new inspirations.

Just in case you didn’t know, Jeezy made it clear: Our President is Black. Not of Black America, but of the United States of America. Queen Latifah reminded us to put “Ladies First,” and now, in 2009, Michelle Obama is our First Lady, carrying with her the soul of Mary J. Blige and the grace and spirit of Beyonce Knowles. Lil Wayne showed us how to still sell “A Milli,” not by just being a rapper, but by making rap his life. T.I. encouraged you to “Live Your Life”, not someone else’s life, taking responsibility for mistakes and evolving into a better man and public
servant.

Will Smith inspired us all to say, “I Am Legend,” and pushed us all to focus on our own “Pursuit of Happyness”. Puffy said “I Am King,” therefore I can do anything; I am what I believe myself to be. And Russell Simmons continues to remind us to relax our minds and let our consciousness be free. Jay-Z reminded us that Rosa Parks sat so Martin Luther King Jr. could
march. King marched so that Barack Obama could run. Obama ran so we all could fly.

So spread your wings and fly, because this year there can be no more excuses. Obama’s road to the White House embodied the spirit of Hip-Hop. He encouraged change when some said things were unchangeable. He believed when most said, “You are unbelievable.” He achieved when everyone said it was unachievable. We must all step up, step out on faith, find our will and make it happen. President Obama’s thrill of victory has inspired me to encourage “The New Cool.”

The New Cool is to be presidential: walk presidential, talk presidential and act presidential. No matter what you do, where you are in your life; through crisis, frustration, aggravation, good, bad or sad times. Carry yourself presidential. Dare to dream the big dream and work hard to be an agent of change.

In honor of Black History Month, please celebrate and pray for those who made history before us, and continue to encourage and inspire young America to make their own history after us. The New Cool embodies faith, education, wealth and legacy. I will always encourage you to do you, with one condition: Adopt the New Cool...Be presidential.

God Bless Hip-Hop and God Bless America,

Kevin Liles

No comments: